Sunday 5 August 2012

Taking Control


Setting My Goals

So I have been set the challenge to write S.M.A.R.T goals. SMART is an mnemonic for: 

Specific/Measureable/Achievable/Realistic/Time Based.
(you know I just wanted to throw in the word mnemonic to look smart - not the mnemonic version, the one who is characterised by sharp quick thought... who is amusingly clever and witty as well as canny and shrewd... gosh I love thefreedictionary.com).
So any way..... here it is.... 
In the next 12 weeksI want to lose 12 kg and look like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2.

(oh alright... If I can't be 'Sarah Connor' I'll settle for  toned, stronger and fitter).

So I better break it all down…

The Short term Goals:


1 month (September)
To weigh 66kg
  • No Chocolate (does an Ice Mocha count?)
  • 30 mins gym 5 days a week

2 Month (October)
To weigh 63kg
  • No Sugar (seriously, I need to know - does an Ice Mocha count??)
  • No alcohol (too bloody expensive in Singapore anyway)
  • No Junk (subject to interpretation)
  • 40 mins Gym 5 days a week.

3 month (November)
To weigh 59kg (and look like Sarah Connor)...
  • all the above
  • 50 mins gym 5 days a week.


Okay so by the end I should fit back into my pre-baby clothes.. but considering they are all London-cold-gloomy-no-colour clothes my reward to self is ....(please note: mentor M says you have to tie your goals in with a reward… so I am only doing as I am told okay) is to buy NEW CLOTHES!! YAH!!! (with all the $$ I saved on the 'no' list!)

Here is the thing though… as I am living in Singapore… where the average weight of a woman is 55kg shopping is a nightmare! Currently I pick up a pair of trousers and before I can even ask for a size 12 (I'm lying... I'm a size 14).... I hear the sales assistant say.. ‘We don't stock larger than a 10...’. 

%$£@!!!!

Therefore, my shopping spree will have to be back home in OZ…So my reward to self is a trip to OZ... YAH!!!

Also I have a deal with ‘The Man’... If I hit my wedding day weight (59kg - seven years ago) I get a pressie… something shiny is all I ask for…

So to the long term goal:

6 months (February)… to still weigh 59 kg… mmm that’s probably the hardest goal to reach... we'll talk about 'maintaining' on another day...

So as I said in ‘Oh No.... Mr Grey.....’ I need an official start date… and I have one... it’s in 22 days time, as per mentor M's guidance (in am in ‘pre-season’ at the moment, that's for getting my mental-self ready). You see timing is everything.

Take my morning bus ride for example.

My bus journey gives me just enough time to to look smart (the fashionable; elegant version this time...I really do love thefreedictionary.com). This involves changing my shoes (flats to heels), putting on my jacket (ready to go from 31 degrees to sub zero in the air conditioning).... and of course time to check the morning emails… okay the fb updates. It's like clock work... 

I love timing, I love routine...

I hate disruption...

.....like last week when I got on the wrong bus (159 and 157 look very similar when you aren’t wearing your glasses). Then… I had just enough time to change my shoes, put on my jacket. check morning emails/ fb updates, panic… .hit the bell, stumble off the bus (why do I put the bloody heels on before I get to my desk?)… get on another wrong bus… hit the bell… step in middle of a main road to stop a cab (mmm maybe the heels were an advantage here?).... Freak out that the driver doesn’t know the way (& problems with me not being about to pronounce in mandarin where I'm going.... Thank god for google maps and universal language of pointing!!!)

So disruption…. Being ready for the hiccups along the way… what I really don’t want to do is give up if I fall off the wagon. If (when) I slip up.. I have to be willing to just keep going... and not give up until I have another 'official' start... I am going to stick to what Mentor M told me in ‘no more excuses…’ Don’t think… Just do it (no that isn’t a product placement…) because ‘I’m worth it ‘(no that wasn’t a product placement) either..  My philosophy is 'Impossible is Nothing' I just have to ‘think different’ because ‘Success is a mind game’ I know that ‘I am what I am” so I will just ‘keep going, going and going”… and hopefully be able to say...‘I’m Lovin’ it’.

(.. as per the BBC Impartibility Disclaimer: Other -  Sport products, clothes brands, computer companies, battery products and fast food restaurants are available.... and have nice motivational slogans too...)


I am worried I will lose motivation on this journey….especially if the scales decide not to show any reflection of my hard work….  That is why I have this blog… I am hoping by telling you all what I am up to you will help keep me in check...

---- Now the good news is I have just figured out how to enable comments (I think) so please feel free to write messages telling me how SMART I am.... So Mediocre At Researching Technology... by the way that's an acronym not a mnemonic.... see I know lots of big words...



up.. up.... and away...








3 comments:

  1. If only you had posted this earlier... before I ate the sticky bun I bought at Middleton bakery today! It MAY have helped me resist...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great read :)
    Look forward to hearing about the rest of your journey -and yes if you fall off the wagon -get straight back on!!

    For me eating junk and drinking red wine will be what I'll be struggling with! That and getting out of bed to exercise blegh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I love your blogs they're hilarious because you're speaking (writing) the way we all are! we're like kidding ourselves but we know better. It is with great sadness that I am fairly confident... the iced mocha is gonna have to go.. as of the 27th August! I can't even tell you it can be a treat... cos let's face it.. MM wont let treats like that - hopefully she has a good alternative though?! (wishful thinking)

    ReplyDelete